It Cannoli Be Artuso's
In the great tradition of Italian-American family-grown businesses, the Bronx’s Artuso Pastry has become a nationally recognized culinary treasure through dedication and authenticity, one fabulous cannoli at a time.
The tale begins in 1930 when 11-year-old Vincent Artuso Sr., his sisters Anna and Victoria and brother Jack left their native Reggio di Calabria, Italy and headed for America, settling in the mainly-Italian Belmont section of the Bronx, also known as Arthur Avenue. All the children worked to help the family, but as Vincent diligently built Depression-era shoeshine boxes, he yearned for something more. So, the intrepid Vincent started a job washing pots and pans at Spagnuolo’s Pastry Shop on East 187th Street. He pursued his passion by training there as a pastry chef. Thus it was for the love of pastry, and a natural knack for the art form that upon returning from his service in World War II Vincent felt inspired to purchase the very shop that had nurtured him, renaming it Artuso Pastry.